Got Bush?
December 14, 2017, 02:03:54 AM *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Teamspeak 3: See operations center board..
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Project: Parker Lake, AK!  (Read 1107 times)
christopherbritton
Scenery Developer Dude
Legendary Elder

Attaboy Points: 131

Since October 28, 2010, 04:47:53 PM

Got Vintage?

« on: October 26, 2015, 05:55:21 PM »

Introducing: Parker Lake!

Much like how my Summit Airport scenery became, I have found a new location in Alaska to work my magic. I have decided to take on the small lake-side airstrip of Parker Lake! Parker Lake's runway is pretty short, coming in at right around 980ft (or @ 299m) usable. The above image was captured last night during my second ever review of the scenery progress. (Just 4-5 hours of work at the time.)

As for today's progress, I spent a good hour or so working on refining the photoreal watermask, while listening to an online class lecture in the background. (it's a good way to accomplish two things at once) After completing that, I made a few adjustments to the autogen annotation in the coverage area, before moving on to creating the first model. Which by the satellite photos, seems to be a hanger. (So that's what I'm making it) Creating the model itself took almost no time at all. (10 min maybe?) I'm keeping the models simple and low poly, where I can. There is no need to make it any more performance-heavy than we need to.

As of now, I have began creating my first draft textures for the hanger in Photoshop. These textures may or may not be the final textures used in this project. If needed, I will make tweaks as development continues..

All for now..

If you believe that it is impossible to land there, you were just proven wrong..
Stick
Bass Clef
SYSOP
Infamous Blowhard

Attaboy Points: 132

Since August 24, 2007, 06:45:10 PM

Got Dummies?

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:40:24 AM »

That's looking great Chris. I studied that area a bit when you mentioned it. I am going to install some tools because I miss doing this work. And with the new sat imagery for PATK, it is time to finish that up. It is winter. I need something constructive to do on my days off. :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:57:52 AM by Stick » Logged

When I see a Rabbit run into a bush and come out the other side I think to myself "That lucky bastard!"
christopherbritton
Scenery Developer Dude
Legendary Elder

Got Vintage?

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 07:21:27 PM »

Well.. I didn't have as much time to work on this project today as I had originally thought I would. Today was more of a refinement day, I guess you could say. I took the hanger textures, which I created yesterday, and made some adjustments. Starting off, I got rid of the old entrance attached to the hangar door. It was way too small in scale for this model. I also added some windows and a custom sign to the hanger to fill in the surface a bit. Besides those two major changes, I just added some more dirt and grunge here and there to give it the impression that it has been out in the weather, but not too much, as it's a fairly new hanger irl.

After completing my refinements to the textures, I decided it was time to render it in Model Converter X to see if it all came together. The result so far looks to have a good bit of potential. smile

christopherbritton
Scenery Developer Dude
Legendary Elder

Got Vintage?

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 03:28:53 PM »

Took a few days off from working on this project, but I decided to put in a few hours today. Even skipped lunch.. (You're welcome, future downloaders) tounge  Anyways, the first project was to implement seasonal 3D grass into the airport. Seasonal textures for models in FSX have stumped developers for quite some time. There really is no way within FSX/P3D itself (At Least from my experience) that allows you to have seasonal models change automatically with the flightsim seasons. To overcome this issue, I had to make the change optional outside of the simulator.

This change will be made using a program similar to what ORBX provides with their payware airports. The program I will be using, is provided by 29 Palms Scenery Design. A free copy can be obtained from their webstore for use in non-commercial projects.

(example)

After getting past the seasonal texture block, I began to work on the next 3D model. This building is slightly smaller than the hanger, so this leads me to believe that it may be an FBO building of sorts. So, like the hanger, that's what it has now become.. Once again, creating the model took almost no time at all. I made a copy of the hanger and began editing it to become my new FBO building. Editing the hanger model allowed me to more accurately determine the scale needed for the textures. In editing the model down to size, I determined that my textures would have to be 25% shorter in height, in order for me to keep the same resolution between the two buildings. Its very important to keep buildings of interest at the same resolution and scale. Not doing so will cause visual conflicts.

As for the FBO building depicted above, I used much of the same base textures as the hanger, with the FBO building being weathered and a bit more dirty than the hanger, symbolizing that it's fairly new, but not as new as the hanger. (Which is actually the case with this airport irl)

After I had finished mapping the models in Sketchup, I decided it was time to export the two models and place them in the sim. I wanted to see how they looked actually depicted in the scenery, instead of just in a 3D render. After a few short minutes of using Instant Scenery to place the models, I finally got to see the results I was looking for. I have to say, I like how this is coming together..  :)

All for now..
Stick
Bass Clef
SYSOP
Infamous Blowhard

Attaboy Points: 132

Since August 24, 2007, 06:45:10 PM

Got Dummies?

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 01:33:05 AM »

Great stuff. I am getting everything installed, and, I am dedicating a laptop I have to playing server. :)
christopherbritton
Scenery Developer Dude
Legendary Elder

Got Vintage?

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 09:21:11 PM »

Another small progress update for tonight.. I will keep this one short as it's getting late and I'm getting progressively tired as the minutes tick by.. I worked on another model after class today. From the poor satellite photos, it's hard to tell exactly what the buildings are suppose to be. At just 15' X 25', This structure is almost too small to be a house, and the way they are laid out just doesn't seem like so either, so I'm taking a guess that it's a storage building of some kind.

After building and texturing the model, this is what I came up with:

For those looking -- thanks for following this project! To all of you who will be downloading this scenery in the future -- I hope by seeing the work that went into this project, you will have a new level of enjoyment for sceneries like this.

All for now.. More to come.
ryapad
Weed Eater

Attaboy Points: 13

Since June 24, 2016, 01:15:21 PM

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 11:18:44 AM »

Chris, are you still working in this? I know this thread is kind if old, but I started in Patker Lake a while ago, and wanted to know if you were going to finish this before I finished up my version.

Thanks smile

christopherbritton
Scenery Developer Dude
Legendary Elder

Got Vintage?

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 09:11:18 PM »

Yea, I'm going to continue working on it here sometime. Have just had a lot of my time invested in one project lately. I'll probably strip it down to the photoreal and rework everything. I'm putting a lot of accumulated knowledge into my next scenery that I would like to carry over to Parker Lake.

-CB
ryapad
Weed Eater

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »

Okay. Cool! It looks about 10 1 million times better than mine, so I don't mind the wait.
christopherbritton
Scenery Developer Dude
Legendary Elder

Got Vintage?

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 08:47:53 AM »

Feel free to release yours as well. I imagine it wont be until a bit later this year, when I start back.
ryapad
Weed Eater

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 10:41:26 PM »

Hey Chris. I went flying with my dad today. We went from Lake Hood, to Rainy Pass lodge, and then over to Talkeetna. On the way there, I asked my dad if we could swing by Parker Lake. We flew over a couple of times and took some pictures for you:

IMG_1515
IMG_1514

IMG_1513

IMG_1512

IMG_1511

IMG_1510

IMG_1509

IMG_1508

IMG_1507

IMG_1506

To get a really big picture, right click, and then click "open image in new tab."

Hope you can use these somehow grin
christopherbritton
Scenery Developer Dude
Legendary Elder

Got Vintage?

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 10:29:47 AM »

Thanks! That will help a lot with modeling and texturing. Less guessing to do. I had no idea you lived up yonder.
ryapad
Weed Eater

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 01:08:34 PM »

No problem  tongue It's a great state up here. It really is The last Frontier. It's kind of funny the things you see in real pictures vs. google earth. I never saw all of hat clutter laying around. You also couldn't see the windmill in GE.
christopherbritton
Scenery Developer Dude
Legendary Elder

Got Vintage?

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 04:35:01 PM »

I've been working on a few projects off and on in my spare time over the past few months. I haven't had a lot of time, but I have decided that it's time to get the Parker Lake project rolling again.

Sadly, I must have accidentally deleted some of the original files at some point. Luckily I still have all of the photo real, mesh and models, however I've had to replace all of the autogen and I'm going to have to redo all of the lake elevations.

This is OK though, as I was going to completely strip down this scenery anyways. A lot has changed since I last worked on this scenery, so in order to give it the best treatment possible, I'm going to start fresh with all of the modeling and technology. Since this scenery will likely look quite different than the above pictures, I will either be completely redoing the OP of this thread, or starting a new one. (Likely the latter) However, I wont be doing this until I get a lot more work done and something to show. Until then, here's a picture of my current progress in P3Dv4:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Your support is very important!
Average monthly costs: $55 USD

Donate with PayPal!
 0%

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.8 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   

TERMS OF SERVICE Page created in 7.24 seconds with 26 queries.

Googlebot was here December 08, 2017, 12:41:30 PM