Got Bush?
November 20, 2017, 07:00:13 PM *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Teamspeak 3: See operations center board..
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FAA investigating Harrison Ford  (Read 510 times)
Stick
Bass Clef
SYSOP
Infamous Blowhard

Attaboy Points: 132

Since August 24, 2007, 06:45:10 PM

Got Dummies?

« on: February 14, 2017, 08:32:27 PM »

DAVE BENETT/WIREIMAGE
The FAA is investigating Harrison Ford after the actor reportedly landed a single-engine aircraft on the wrong part of a Southern California airport, flying directly over an airliner that was preparing for takeoff.

The incident happened Monday at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California, when the Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark star brought his single-engine aircraft in for a landing.

The Federal Aviation Administration does not officially release the identity of individuals involved in such incidents, but sources close to the investigation confirmed the details to EW. NBC News was the first to report the story.

The Aviat Husky involved in the incident was directed by air traffic control to land on Runway 20L. The official FAA report indicates the pilot correctly read back the clearance but instead landed on a taxiway beside the runway.

Ford’s plane then flew over American Airlines flight 1546, a Boeing 737 that was stopped just outside the runway, headed for Dallas with a load of passengers.

No one was hurt in the incident, but the FAA will now investigate the reason for the mistaken landing. Ford’s representatives said the actor did not have a comment at this time.

Pilots who violate FAA regulations can face penalties ranging from a warning letter to a license suspension or revocation.

Ford, 74, has a long history as a pilot and has logged more than 5,200 hours in the air. He maintains a number of helicopters, single-engine planes, and even a jet at a private hangar in Santa Monica, California.

In March 2015, the actor sustained serious injuries after crash-landing a refurbished World War II training fighter. A National Transportation Safety Board investigation determined the plane lost power because of a worn-out, malfunctioning carburetor part, which stalled the engine and sent him on a dive into a Santa Monica golf course shortly after takeoff.

There was no requirement to check that piece of equipment, so no one was at fault for the crash.

In an interview in October 2015, Ford told EW: “I’ve been flying for 20 years, and it was a very rare thing to happen. It was a mechanical issue. No fault of the maintenance or anybody else.”

He began flying again as soon as he was physically able. “I got back in the helicopter first, because my foot was still in the cast, my toes were hanging out,” he said. “It was the easiest aircraft to get into [that I’d still] be capable, and safe, to fly.”

The actor was previously involved in a 1999 helicopter roll-over in Santa Clarita, California, just north of Los Angeles, when his Bell 206 JetRanger failed to recover power in time during a training flight, according to the National Transportation Safety Board.

Although the crash site was mostly soft sand, the helicopter’s left skid snagged a log and flipped the aircraft over. Ford and his instructor were not seriously injured, and the cause of the crash was ruled to be pilot error. Asked about the crash on Inside the Actor’s Studio, Ford replied: “I broke it.”

Other times, his aeronautic skills have been credited with saving the day.

Ford, who has a home in Jackson, Wyoming, was part of a squad of volunteers who flew over Yellowstone National Park in 2001 searching for a Boy Scout who went missing overnight.

Ford was the one who located the boy while hovering over his part of the grid in the Wyoming wilderness, which made national headlines — although that part aggravated the actor.

“What annoyed me about it all was that I’d pick somebody up off the mountain one day, and two days later they’d be on Good Morning America,” Ford told USA Today in 2008. “I thought, ‘It doesn’t give credit to all the other people involved.’ Suddenly, I’m swanning around as some kind of f—ing hero.”

When I see a Rabbit run into a bush and come out the other side I think to myself "That lucky bastard!"
ryapad
Weed Eater

Attaboy Points: 13

Since June 24, 2016, 01:15:21 PM

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 05:05:35 PM »

Whoops! Gettin a little old I see. Even if the FAA takes his license from him, he'll just hire an instructor to fly with him all the time.

Ryan

Stick
Bass Clef
SYSOP
Infamous Blowhard

Got Dummies?

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »

UPDATE: Close call? Maybe to some. I love how media sensationalizes things. However, he should have never been there, but it was not the drama they portray. I wonder if Harrison might have to give up what he loves?

Harrison Ford is heard making mistakes during radio communication with air traffic control in the minutes leading up to his close call at a California airport earlier this week, when he nearly crashed into a passenger plane (fake news) after erroneously landing in a taxiway instead of the runway he was cleared to use.

In newly released audio obtained by TMZ, the Star Wars legend is told his tail number, “Husky Niner Hotel Uniform,” and a personal code of 0214. However, Ford responds by stumbling over his words, telling the control tower that he was flying a helicopter rather than his single-engine plane.

The 74-year-old actor is also told his radio transmission was made to the wrong tower — rather than switching to the Los Angeles tower, he’s still communicating with the Santa Monica Airport from which he departed.

Just 18 minutes after the transmission, the licensed pilot of many years accidentally maneuvered toward a taxiway rather than the runway he was cleared to land on. His plane flew over an American Airlines departing flight with 110 passengers on board and a six-person crew. The Dallas-bound 737 aircraft was reportedly able to safely take off minutes after the incident.

The actor was also reportedly captured on air traffic control recordings asking, “Was that airliner meant to be underneath me?” Air traffic control then informed the actor that he inadvertently landed on a taxiway with awaiting aircraft instead of the runway he was instructed to head toward.

The American Airlines pilots were aware of the incident, prompting the airline to alert the FAA and NTSB. A spokesperson confirmed the FAA is opening an investigation into the incident.

“The FAA considers that a very major violation of the federal air regulations. They are going to go after him basically to take his license away. Fortunately for him, no one was hurt,” Captain Ross Aimer, a retired United Airlines pilot and CEO of Aero Consulting Experts, tells PEOPLE. (Aimer is not involved in the investigation.)

A rep for the actor had no comment.

Ford was seen boarding a plane at the Santa Monica Airport on Thursday, just days after the incident. Joined by a co-pilot, he took the captain’s seat of the Cessna 680 two-engine jet.

Ford has been involved in several piloting accidents in the past. The most serious was in 2015, when he crash-landed at a Santa Monica golf course after encountering engine trouble. Ford, who was flying a yellow vintage fighter plane, suffered a broken arm and lacerations to his scalp.
lj440
MAINEiacs
STAFF
Cub Driver

Attaboy Points: 101

Since April 07, 2012, 10:06:19 PM

Is this the bathroom?

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:45:09 AM »

To us, this isn't a close call. But considering where he was, and the 110 people below him, it was indeed a very close call. He may be a legend, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have to pay for his mistakes. His license will most likely be revoked, and there is a chance he may be banned from the cockpit altogether. Just because he is who he is, doesn't mean he isn't like everyone else. That being said, it is sad to see an aviator of any kind get his wings clipped.

Stick
Bass Clef
SYSOP
Infamous Blowhard

Got Dummies?

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:33:39 PM »

The way he talked to tower, Helicopter, etc. There may be something going on that will ground him. I dig the guy, but, we cant have confusion, even in one person, in the air.
Stick
Bass Clef
SYSOP
Infamous Blowhard

Got Dummies?

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 04:11:11 PM »

All I know, no matter what happens, this is Hans Solo to me.

<a href="http://youtube.com/v/QsgiEubacT0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://youtube.com/v/QsgiEubacT0&rel=1</a>
Stick
Bass Clef
SYSOP
Infamous Blowhard

Got Dummies?

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 04:21:04 PM »

<a href="http://youtube.com/v/9F_WM8nudM8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://youtube.com/v/9F_WM8nudM8&rel=1</a>
lj440
MAINEiacs
STAFF
Cub Driver

Attaboy Points: 101

Since April 07, 2012, 10:06:19 PM

Is this the bathroom?

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 07:18:30 PM »

An update to the Harrison Ford fiasco. It appears he will not be punished. I personally believe that he should have been required to do a checkride or examination flight, but that's just me. Either way, it will be nice to see him on the radar once again!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.flyingmag.com/faa-allows-harrison-ford-to-keep-flying-without-restriction?src=SOC&dom=fb

The FAA has concluded that no further “enforcement action was warranted” in regard to Harrison Ford’s recent landing incident at John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, California. According to a statement from Stephen Hofer, the attorney for the 74-year-old actor and pilot, the agency conducted a full interview with Ford, and ultimately it was determined that the actor would retain his pilot’s license “without restriction.”
In February, Ford mistakenly landed his Aviat Husky on the taxiway at John Wayne Airport, and, in the process, he flew over an American Airlines jetliner carrying 110 passengers. No one was injured and the passenger flight took off without issue soon after. In the audio of Ford’s call to the John Wayne tower, he humbly referred to himself as the “schmuck who landed on the taxiway.”
While the FAA won’t comment on cases involving individual pilots, Hofer wrote that “the agency acknowledged Mr. Ford’s long history of compliance with the Federal Aviation Regulations and his cooperative attitude during the investigation. Mr. Ford has held a pilot’s certificate for more than 20 years, has logged more than 5,000 hours in the air, and has never been the subject of an FAA administrative or enforcement action.”
The FAA didn’t let Ford completely off the hook, however, as the actor was assigned awareness training, which he has already reportedly completed.
Hofer is also “firmly convinced” that Ford’s celebrity status did not factor into the FAA’s decision.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Your support is very important!
Average monthly costs: $55 USD

Donate with PayPal!
 0%

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.8 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   

TERMS OF SERVICE Page created in 0.086 seconds with 24 queries.

Googlebot was here September 11, 2017, 09:13:48 PM